Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mistletoe and Wine



"He's Been!" cried Tallulah at 5.30 AM in Christmas morning. Roughly 4 hours beforehand, Christa, Anna, Dan and I were plotting how to convince the children that the main man had arrived. A half eaten carrot, nibbled mince pies and sooty footprints placed carefully around the room were convincing enough for the kids.


The reason it was special was that we had all the family over. Dan and Anna brought the kids over , plus Rowan, Zara and Kian came too. Grandparents all put in a show too which was great, and Pete celebrated his birthday on the way down to Cornwall. It was lovely to have a house full and was the house warming that we needed.


I cant escape the feeling kids become overwhelmed by Christmas these days. I know its a bit BAH HUMBUG, but the more presents the kids opened, the worse behaved they were. Morwenna said this was her best Christmas ever at the point when she had only opened her stocking. I think the Quakers have it right; keep it simple and focus on the family. The more stuff you have, the less each thing seems to matter. God, where is my soapbox? I'm sure I left it round here somewhere. Don't get me started.

No comments: